A 15-year-old boy was arrested for murder this week after he allegedly slashed his mother’s boyfriend on Monday in Las Vegas. As of Wednesday, the teen was incarcerated awaiting a court appearance.
The victim, who was described as being in his 40s, passed away at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center from the injuries.
The incident began in an apartment near the Las Vegas Strip where the boy and his brother got into an argument. It escalated into a fight.
That led the man and his girlfriend to try to break up the struggle between the mother’s two sons.
But one of the boys grabbed what was described as a kitchen knife. He attacked the adult man, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The man was seriously slashed.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) officers responded and provided initial emergency treatment. EMTs soon arrived and the man was rushed to the hospital.
Could Be Tried As Adult
The teen was apprehended. He could be tried as an adult, even through he is 15 years old. The decision is likely up to a juvenile court judge.
The suspect was being held this week in Clark County Juvenile Hall, KVVU, a local TV station, reported. If the suspect is convicted on an adult murder charge, it could mean he will spend many years in prison.
The man, woman and two boys were visiting Las Vegas from an unspecified location. Neither the boy nor the man was named by authorities.
It is likely the victim will be given an autopsy to confirm the cause and type of death. The LVMPD’s homicide unit took over the investigation.
The apartment is located in the 3900 block of Koval Lane. It is near Flamingo Road and close to Las Vegas Boulevard.
The location of the fatal stabbing is also close to several casinos. The Horseshoe Las Vegas Hotel & Casino is a quarter mile away.
Prior Teen Violence
In an unrelated case, a teenager who wounded a man last year on the Las Vegas Strip is not going to prison, a local judge decided last month.
Joshua Estrada was given 28 to 72 months of probation instead of jail time, the Review-Journal reported.
Estrada initially was charged with attempted murder, battery with use of a deadly weapon resulting in substantial bodily harm, and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, according to news reports. If found guilty, he could have been sentenced to many years in prison.
In an apparent deal, the 18-year-old pleaded guilty to one count of assault with a deadly weapon as an adult.
In announcing the sentence, District Judge Tara Clark Newberry said Estrada must report to counseling. He also cannot use firearms and must stay away from street gangs, the Review-Journal said. He also must take some form of adult education or get training for a job.
The shooting took place on Nov. 7, 2021, outside a CVS pharmacy.
The victim was shot in the abdomen. The victim was a good Samaritan who tried to break up a fight involving several people.
The post Off-Strip Stabbing Leads to Murder Charge for 15-Year-Old in Las Vegas appeared first on Casino.org.