Woodbine is located in Ontario Canada. The track features a synthetic track and 2 turf courses. On Friday it also features the Dominion Day Stakes.
Weekend of Stakes
The Dominion Day is a grade 3 event run at 9 furlongs on Woodbine’s synthetic main track. The marquee runner is Might Heart who has twice been named Canadian Horse of the Year. The 5 year old will take on 8 rivals in the gate going 9 furlongs on the synthetic course.
However, the race on Friday is but a primer for the loaded card set for the next day.
Saturday will feature 4 stakes races all of which are graded. The Highlander and Nassau are both grade 2 contests on the turf. The other two stakes, the Marine and the Selene, are grade 3 events on the synthetic.
For help with handicapping the unique track check out the proprietary Betting News handicapping tools. Get picks and data for Woodbine and other tracks around the country all completely free.
Full Card Analysis
Woodbine Race 1
Post: 1:10 PM ET; Purse: $60,300 Optional Claiming, 1 1/8 Miles on Turf; Entries: 7
- #1 BLAST IN THE SNOW should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & pace.
- #3 NONNO’S LITTLE BOY makes sense with this group based on speed figures and the tactical run style.
- #7 ENCHANT ME seems to be in solid form and could be ready to pop a big performance.
- #2 H C HOLIDAY is worth a look here given edges in stamina & power rating.
Woodbine Race 2
Post: 1:40 PM ET; Purse: $29,000 Claiming, 7 1/2 Furlongs on Turf; Entries: 9
- #7 BOLD ANIMAUX is really good at this in between distance on the turf. It is hard to see this one not hitting the board.
- #8 DOCTOR UPTOWN has been running against better and should appreciate a run against this group.
- #2 INGORDWETRUST comes into the race signaling a big performance in the near future.
- #9 MESA SKYLINE comes from a barn that is always worth a look. The running style fits this track well.
Woodbine Race 3
Post: 2:10 PM ET; Purse: $101,200 Allowance Optional Claiming, 1 1/16 Miles on Turf; Entries: 6
- #3 FAST FEET merits consideration in this spot given edges in speed & connections.
- #6 BASKETBALL JONES is worth a look here given edges in record at the distance & form.
- #2 DANFUSI is a major player in today’s race given the speed figures and the pace figures this one can put up. This one will be on the engine throughout.
- #5 KEEP GRINDING is worth a look here given edges in stamina & power rating.
Woodbine Race 4
Post: 2:39 PM ET; Purse: $28,300 Claiming, 1 1/16 Miles on All Weather Track; Entries: 12
- #8 COPINSAY is a major player based on speed figures.
- #6 KOSMONAVT has shown that this one is coming into the race in good form.
- #10 CONQUER HIM is another that fits solely based on speed figures.
- #3 J M R BEST OF TURF is worth a look here given edges in race flow & pace.
Woodbine Race 5
Post: 3:12 PM ET; Purse: $27,000 Maiden Claiming, 6 1/2 Furlongs on All Weather Track; Entries: 12
- #9 SILVER SIGNATURE merits consideration in this spot given edges in speed & race flow.
- #11 COUSIN ROB merits consideration in this spot given edges in stamina & pace.
- #1 MR. AGRO has breeding to suggest he could be good in this spot.
- #3 CRUMLIN EXPERIENCE has already hit the board on the all weather and that counts for something in this group.
Woodbine Race 6
Post: 3:44 PM ET; Purse: $150,000 Dominion Day S., 1 1/8 Miles on All Weather Track; Entries: 9
- #5 MIGHTY HEART is a cool horse who was at one point in the Derby conversation. This one has been a folk hero on the Canada circuit. He merits consideration in this spot given edges in speed & class.
- #3 SKYWIRE has been a worthy adversary at these long synthetic races.
- #9 FROSTED OVER is worth a look here given edges in race flow & power rating.
- #8 SPECIAL FORCES makes sense on speed figures.
Woodbine Race 7
Post: 4:17 PM ET; Purse: $60,300 Optional Claiming, 1 1/8 Miles on Turf; Entries: 8
- #3 TEMPEREYA is a major player in today’s race edging the field in several key handicapping factors including speed & power rating.
- #4 HENRY’S GAMBLE is proven as a good bet to at least hit the board under today’s distance and surface conditions.
- #7 VENENOSA looks to get a dream setup in this race. These long turf events hit this one well between the eyes.
- #5 SWINGING MANDY classes up well in this field.
Woodbine Race 8
Post: 4:49 PM ET; Purse: $64,300 Maiden Optional Claiming, 1 1/16 Miles on All Weather Track; Entries: 9
- #7 FIFTY THREE is in with a great chance based on the horse’s class & blood lines.
- #6 SPRING MOUNTAIN this one comes into the race in good form with productive enough preps at the distance to suggest a step forward isn’t out of the question.
- #3 TOOK A WRONG TURN has to be respected based on the connections.
- #8 GIANT ONE merits consideration in this spot given edges in speed & stamina.
Woodbine Race 9
Post: 5:20 PM ET; Purse: $48,300 Maiden Optional Claiming, 6 1/2 Furlongs on Turf; Entries: 16
- #12 GREEN GABLES has a great shot in the race given the form & class.
- #3 CEDAR VALLEY is in with a great chance based on the horse’s record at the distance.
- #9 RUM RAISIN should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & race flow.
- #1 MUSKOKA SUMMER looks to have to have kept the best company in the previous starts.
Betting News Free Handicapping Tools
For more information on racing from all of the week’s racing action, check out our free handicapping tools.
The post Woodbine Friday (7/1): Dominion Day Stakes Analysis, Selections appeared first on Betting News.