The Florida Panthers and Washington Capitals will clash in Round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They met three times in the regular season, and the Panthers took 2 of the 3. The home team has won every time by a single goal.
The Florida Panthers took home the Presidents’ Trophy this year with the best record during the regular season. They will look to carry that momentum into the opening round.
Florida has not won a playoff series since 1996, when they made it to the Stanley Cup Final. This is the longest playoff series drought in the NHL to date.
The Capitals hoisted the Cup in 2018, and they have nine players still on the roster that were a part of that 2018 Cup run. The Panthers only have 2 players that have ever been able to touch the most prestigious award in hockey.
Experience is a factor in this series, but with so much to play for, the Panthers may be too much for Alex Ovechkin and the Caps to handle.
Florida Panthers (Atlantic Division #1) vs. Washington Capitals (Eastern Conference Wild Card #2) Series Information and Betting Odds
Florida Panthers vs. Washington Capitals Series Schedule, Game Times, and TV Info
- Panthers vs. Capitals (Game 1 – at FLA Live Arena, Florida): Tuesday, May 3, 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2
- Panthers vs. Capitals (Game 2 – at FLA Live Arena, Florida): Thursday, May 5, 7:30 p.m. ET, TBS
- Capitals vs. Panthers (Game 3 – at Capital One Arena, Washington, DC): Saturday, May 7, 1:00 p.m. ET, ESPN
- Capitals vs. Panthers (Game 4- at Capital One Arena, Washington, DC): Monday, May 9, 7:00 p.m. ET, TBS
- Panthers vs. Capitals (Game 5 – at FLA Live Arena, Florida): Wednesday, May 11, time and TV TBD – if necessary
- Capitals vs. Panthers (Game 6 – at Capital One Arena, Washington, DC): Friday, May 13, time and TV TBD – if necessary
- Panthers vs. Capitals (Game 7 – at FLA Live Arena, Florida): Sunday, May 15, time and TV TBD – if necessary
Florida Panthers vs. Washington Capitals Series Betting Odds
Odds are via FanDuel.
Odds to win the Series
- Florida Panthers -330
- Washington Capitals +260
Series Correct Score Odds
- Panthers 4-0 (+540)
- Panthers 4-1 (+285)
- Panthers 4-2 (+370)
- Panthers 4-3 (+410)
- Capitals 4-0 (+2500)
- Capitals 4-1 (+1400)
- Capitals 4-2 (+880)
- Capitals 4-3 (+880)
Series Total Games Odds
- Four Games: +450
- Five Games: +225
- Six Games: +220
- Seven Games: +225
Flames vs. Stars 2021-22 Season Head-to-Head Results
- November 4, 2021 (at Florida): Panthers 5, Capitals 4 (OT)
- November 26, 2021 (at Washington): Capitals 4, Panthers 3
- November 30, 2021 (at Florida): Panthers 5, Capitals 4
Panthers on the Prowl
Florida has had everything go their way this season. They won the Atlantic Division, they have the best record in the league, and they scored the most goals. Washington only won 4 of their final 10 games, and failed to gain any ground in the Metropolitan Division.
This will be an extremely tough test for the Caps. They will have to face the best goaltender from the regular season, Sergei Bobrovsky. He has a record of 39-7-3 coming into the opening round, and has only allowed 137 goals in 54 appearances.
The Panthers have the best overall offense in the NHL, and set a salary-cap era record with 337 goals in an 82 game span. Their power play is also 5th best, and they are putting up the most shots on goal per game.
Washington’s defense is average, allowing almost 3 goals per game and only killing off 80.4% of penalties. The big men will have to step up in order to slow down an extremely fast Florida offense.
All three games between the two teams this season took place back in November. This was before all the records were set by Florida, and before the Panthers had a 13 game winning streak between March and April
The lines reflect the challenge for the Caps. It would be the shock of the first round if they pull off the massive upset.
Florida Panthers vs. Washington Capitals Series Prediction and Betting Tips
Prediction: Panthers win the series 4-1
The Florida offense is too much for the Capitals to withstand. The Panthers have all the momentum, and they get to start the series at home in front of their fans. They will strike quick and often to put games away early.
With such a distinct advantage, the value may not lie in the moneyline, but it is a safe bet to take the Panthers in Round 1. They currently sit -330 at FanDuel and -350 at Caesars Sportsbook.
Look for this series to be short. If you want to bet on series length, 5 games may be the magic number. The line sits at +225 and still holds decent value. If you are looking for a riskier bet with higher value, go for the sweep. The 4 game line is currently at +450, and it is not as risky as it could be, given that the Panthers should dominate the series.
Other 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Content on Betting News
- Odds to Win the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals
- 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket & Matchups
- Edmonton Oilers vs. Los Angeles Kings Series Preview, Odds & Predictions
- St. Louis Blues vs. Minnesota Wild Series Preview, Odds & Prediction
- Carolina Hurricanes vs. Boston Bruins Series Preview, Odds & Prediction
- Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Tampa Bay Lightning Series Preview, Odds & Prediction
- Calgary Flames vs. Dallas Stars Series Preview, Odds & Prediction
- New York Rangers. vs. Pittsburgh Penguins Series Preview, Odds & Prediction
The post Washington Capitals vs. Florida Panthers Series Preview: Cats to Overpower Caps appeared first on Betting News.