After failing to make use of double-digit hits last night, the Chicago White Sox will hope to be more productive in tonight’s matchup with the visiting Kansas City Royals.
In last night’s 2-1 series-opening loss, Chicago outhit Kansas City 10-6. But they tallied just one extra-base hit, walked only once and struck out nine times, and were 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position.
That won’t get it done tonight, and it won’t help them in their quest to haul down and pass the Minnesota Twins in the AL Central. It also won’t help if pitcher Lucas Giolito, who gets the start tonight at Guaranteed Rate Field, continues to struggle at home.
Kansas City Royals vs. Chicago White Sox Matchup Information and Betting Odds
- Matchup: Kansas City Royals (41-62, 19-32 away, 4th in the AL Central) vs. Chicago White Sox (51-51, 23-29 home, 3rd in the AL Central)
- Venue & Location: Guaranteed Rate Field (Chicago, Illinois)
- Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 p.m. Eastern Time (7:10 p.m. local time)
Royals vs. White Sox Pitching Matchup
- Kansas City Royals: Brad Keller (2022: 19 starts, 5-11, 4.18 ERA)
- Chicago White Sox: Lucas Giolito (2022: 18 starts, 6-6, 5.14 ERA)
Royals vs. White Sox Odds
Game odds are via FanDuel. This article may also feature odds from other top legal online sports betting sites that we have reviewed and recommend.
- Kansas City Royals +140
- Chicago White Sox -166
- Over 8.5 (-110)
- Under 8.5 (-110)
- Kansas City Royals +1.5 (-150)
- Chicago White Sox -1.5 (+125)
Giolito Needs to Get Going at Guaranteed Rate Field
Of the 17 teams that start today at .500 or better, the White Sox have the second-worst record in division games. And their 20-22 record against the AL Central is a lot more glaring than Baltimore’s 20-24 record against the AL East, given that the entire AL East is at .500 or better.
But a loss last night might bode favorably for today’s game. The Royals are just 16-24 after a win, which is fourth worst in MLB. The White Sox are 26-24 following a loss, but they are 9-5 in their last 14 in this scenario.
A lot will hinge on how Giolito performs. In his first seven starts, he was 3-1 with a 2.63 ERA. But since then, he is 3-5 with a 6.75 ERA in 11 starts.
Season Splits for Lucas Giolito
- First Seven Starts: 3-1, 2.63 ERA, 37.2 IP, 33 H, 11 R (11 ER), 6 HR, 15 BB, 51 K
- Last 11 Starts: 3-5, 6.75 ERA, 58.2 IP, 74 H, 47 R (44 ER), 12 HR, 21 BB, 57 K
In his last seven starts, the White Sox are a woeful 1-6.
His numbers at home are the biggest problem at present. In his last four home starts, he is 0-3 with a 10.07 ERA. In 19.2 innings in that stretch, he has allowed 22 runs and 31 hits, and he has given up at least four runs in each start.
Keller has pitched very well against the White Sox this season as well. In his two starts against Chicago, he has gone seven full innings and allowed three or fewer runs both times.
Also, in his last four road starts, he is 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA. So, the White Sox will do well to produce against Keller tonight.
Kansas City Royals vs. Chicago White Sox Prediction and Picks
Royals vs. White Sox Prediction: Royals to win
Royals vs. White Sox Picks: Royals ML (Best Value: +150 at BetRivers) & team total over 3.5 runs (-105 at BetMGM)
It would be great to see Giolito get things together over the final two months of the season, but will tonight be the night a resurgence begins?
History, both recent and not, don’t favor it. While recent numbers make for especially rough reading, he is historically a much better pitcher away from Guaranteed Rate Field than at Guaranteed Rate Field.
Career Home and Away Splits for Lucas Giolito
- Home (69 appearances – 67 starts): 19-29, 4.90 ERA, 1.24 WHIP
- Away (66 starts): 29-15, 3.74 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
With all of these numbers in mind, along with Keller’s success against the White Sox this season, the Royals are excellent value to take the win tonight in Chicago.
More Royals vs. White Sox Content
- Royals vs. White Sox Odds, Stats & Trends (8/2)
More MLB Content Today on Betting News
- Mets vs. Nationals Prediction & Picks (8/2)
- Blue Jays vs. Rays Prediction & Picks (8/2)
The post Royals vs. White Sox (August 2): Will Giolito’s miserable home run end tonight? appeared first on Betting News.