Last night, the Philadelphia Phillies used a big sixth inning to hand NL Cy Young Award hopeful Joe Musgrove his first loss of the season.
Tonight, the Padres will try to return the favor against the Aaron Nola as the two teams play the second game of their four-game series in San Diego.
In the series opener, a five-run sixth inning for the visitors made all the difference in a 6-2 win, with Musgrove finally losing after going unbeaten through his first dozen starts of the season.
The Padres have been one of the best teams in the league in bouncing back from losses, but to keep that trend going strong, they will need rookie stud Mackenzie Gore to find his form after the first two bad starts of his budding MLB career.
Philadelphia Phillies vs. San Diego Padres Betting Odds and Matchup Information
- Matchup: Philadelphia Phillies (37-34, 18-17 away, 3rd in the NL East) vs. San Diego Padres (44-28, 20-14 home, 2nd in the NL West)
- Venue & Location: Petco Park (San Diego, California)
- Date: Friday, June 24, 2022
- Game Time: 9:40 p.m. Eastern Time (6:40 p.m. local time)
- TV Broadcast/Streaming Info: NBC Sports Philadelphia (Phillies), Bally Sports San Diego (Padres), MLB Extra Innings/MLB.TV (subscription packages)
Phillies vs. Padres Pitching Matchup
- Philadelphia Phillies: Aaron Nola (2022: 14 starts, 4-4, 3.11 ERA, 89.2 IP, 99 K/11 BB)
- San Diego Padres: MacKenzie Gore (2022: 11 appearances – 10 starts, 4-3, 3.64 ERA, 54.1 IP, 61 K/24 BB)
Phillies vs. Padres Odds
Game odds are via FanDuel. Odds from our other top reviewed and recommended sportsbooks may also be featured in this article.
- Philadelphia Phillies -124
- San Diego Padres +106
- OVER 7 (-114)
- UNDER 7 (-106)
- Philadelphia Phillies -1.5 (+142)
- San Diego Padres +1.5 (-172)
Nola Trending Up, Gore Trending Down
After winning only once in his first nine starts this season, it seemed like Aaron Nola would be in for an even more frustration campaign than last year.
But as we approach the halfway point of the season, Nola is hitting his stride and is moving up the NL Cy Young Award odds as well.
In his last five starts, Nola is 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA, and the Phillies have won all five games. In that stretch, he has given up only eight runs in 37.1 IP, five of which came in one start against the San Francisco Giants in his first start of the month.
Since that poor outing, he has allowed just two runs in 23 innings, which comes out to an ERA of 0.79. Last time out, he pitched eight shutout innings, allowed four hits and a walk, and struck out eight against the Washington Nationals this past Saturday.
While things are trending up for Nola, who is +2200 to win the 2022 NL Cy Young Award, they are going in the opposite direction for Gore.
In his first nine appearances (eight starts), Gore was 4-1 with a 1.50 ERA. But in his last two starts, both of which came against the Colorado Rockies, he has given up 14 runs, 14 hits, and seven walks.
After giving up six runs, five hits, and four walks in 2.1 innings against Colorado on June 11, he allowed eight runs, nine hits (including three homers), and three walks in four innings against the Rockies a week ago.
Philadelphia Phillies vs. San Diego Padres Prediction and Best Bets
Phillies vs. Padres Prediction: Padres to win
Phillies vs. Padres Best Bets: Padres ML (+106 at FanDuel)
While Gore heads into this start after running into major trouble in his two previous starts, bettors should be encouraged by the fact that the Padres are 18-9 following a loss this season.
Along with that favorable factoid, the Padres are also 14-10 as an underdog this season.
Nola’s current run of success should continue tonight in San Diego, but Gore will halt his brief stumble to help the Padres take the win.
Other MLB Content Today on Betting News (Friday, June 24)
- Mets vs. Marlins 6/24 Prediction & Best Bets
- Red Sox vs. Guardians Prediction & Best Bets for 6/24
- Athletics vs. Royals 6/24 Prediction & Best Bets
The post Phillies vs. Padres (June 24): Will Gore rebound from rough outings to lead the Friars to a Friday win? appeared first on Betting News.