The San Diego Padres face a pivotal four-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers starting tomorrow, but before they head to L.A., they need to avoid leaving Phoenix with back-to-back losses to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Last night, San Diego led Arizona 6-0 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning. But thanks to four runs in the seventh and two in the eighth, the D-backs tied it up, and then they walked it off in the bottom of the ninth to stun the Padres, who swept last week’s three-game series at Petco Park.
After losing three out of four at home against the Philadelphia Phillies and then losing last night’s game in the fashion that they did, the Friars need to leave Chase Field with a win today to avoid entering their series with the Dodgers on a sour note.
San Diego Padres vs. Arizona Diamondbacks Betting Odds and Matchup Information
- Matchup: San Diego Padres (45-31, 24-15 away, 2nd in the NL West) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (34-41, 19-21 home, 4th in the NL West)
- Venue & Location: Petco Park (San Diego, California)
- Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2022
- Game Time: 3:40 p.m. Eastern Time (12:40 p.m. local time)
- TV Broadcast/Streaming Info: Bally Sports San Diego (Padres), Bally Sports Arizona (Diamondbacks), MLB Extra Innings/MLB.TV (subscription packages)
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Pitching Matchup
- San Diego Padres: Mike Clevinger (2022: 6 appearances – 5 starts, 1-0, 3.52 ERA, 23 IP, 21 H, 10 R (9 ER), 25 K/9 BB), 1.30 WHIP, .231 OBA)
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Madison Bumgarner (2022: 15 starts, 3-7, 3.75 ERA, 74.1 IP, 79 H, 38 R (31 ER), 53 K/23 BB, 1.37 WHIP, .266 OBA)
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Odds
Game odds are via FanDuel. Odds from our other top reviewed and recommended online sportsbooks may also be featured in this article.
- San Diego Padres -134
- Arizona Diamondbacks +114
- OVER 8.5 (-110)
- UNDER 8.5 (-110)
- San Diego Padres -1.5 (+126)
- Arizona Diamondbacks +1.5 (-152)
Will the Padres Punish Bumgarner Again?
These two pitchers are the matchup for the second straight Wednesday, and Bumgarner will be hoping that this Wednesday is much better than last Wednesday.
In the matchup at Petco Park, which San Diego won 10-4, Bumgarner gave up six runs (four earned) and nine hits in just four innings.
In the win, San Diego pounded out 16 hits total and hit 7 for 20 (.350) with runners in scoring position.
If this start goes like the rest of this month has, Bumgarner and the Diamondbacks could be in trouble again. In five June starts, Bumgarner has given up 39 hits in just 26 innings. In ten starts in April and May, he gave up just 40 hits in 48.1 innings.
The Padres were just 2 for 8 with runners in scoring position last night, but they are hitting .267 with runners in scoring position for the season.
That is up 14 points from last season, and this is with no Fernando Tatis Jr., who hit .364 (36 for 99) with runners in scoring position in 2021, including .463 (19 for 41) with runners in scoring position with two out.
San Diego Padres vs. Arizona Diamondbacks Prediction and Best Bets
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Prediction: Padres to win
Padres vs. Diamondbacks Best Bets: Padres ML (-134 at FanDuel) & Padres team total over 4.5 runs (+100 at BetMGM)
Clevinger has yet to pitch deep in any of his starts, and he was credited with the win in the only start in which he hit five full innings.
But San Diego = nothing but success in his starts, as they are a perfect 5-0 in the games that he has started.
Look for that success to continue this afternoon as San Diego grabs the split before they go to Los Angeles.
If Bumgarner continues to give up hits with regularity, the Padres are likely to burn him for doing so. They may not have done well with converting opportunities last night, but they will fare much better in that department today.
Other MLB Content Today on Betting News (Wednesday, June 29)
- Astros vs. Mets Prediction & Best Bets (6/29)
The post Padres vs. Diamondbacks (June 29): San Diego seeking needed win ahead of big trip to L.A. appeared first on Betting News.