With the Final Four and then The Masters dominating a lot of interest over the first two weeks in April, along with the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals, El Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona, NHL and NBA regular-season action, MLB betting may have been an afterthought for some over the last couple of weeks.
But the first couple of weeks of the 2021 MLB season have produced a lot of noteworthy results and performances, and things are already starting to take shape in the MLB betting landscape. There has already been a no-hitter, some key injuries, a number of homers hit into the stratosphere, and last but definitely not least, a couple of game-deciding umpiring decisions.
From personal experience, being on the wrong side of those decisions does not feel good. But it worked out rather well for at least one Twitter user, who cashed almost $6000 on a $25, six-leg parlay due to Alec Bohm’s feet being big enough to look convincing, basically.
Dodgers vs Padres Highlights Upcoming MLB Betting Slate
What’s in store for the upcoming week of MLB betting? There are several team matchups between expected championship contenders. And on an individual level, many top-tier pitching matchups are scheduled for the week ahead.
Here’s a quick rundown of some what is in store:
- NL Cy Young favorite Jacob deGrom and Milwaukee Brewers hurler Corbin Burnes have nothing to show for the two excellent outings both have had to start the season. Burnes takes the hill on Wednesday, while deGrom toes the rubber on Thursday. Can either of them nab their first win of the season?
- Two leading AL Cy Young contenders duel on Tuesday night, as 2020 AL Cy Young winner Shane Bieber and the Cleveland Indians visit Lucas Giolito and the Chicago White Sox.
- The top two NL teams in the latest 2021 World Series odds face off in the NL West, as the San Diego Padres host the Los Angeles Dodgers in a three-game series starting Friday. The Padres are without Fernando Tatis, Jr. but are off to an excellent start, while the Dodgers are doing what they were expected to this season.
- A couple of AL teams who have had solid starts get tested this weekend against AL pennant contenders, as the Kansas City Royals host the Toronto Blue Jays and the Seattle Mariners host the Houston Astros.
MLB Betting Schedule April 12-18
Monday, April 12 & Tuesday, April 13
Oakland A’s vs Arizona Diamondbacks
Monday, April 12 to Wednesday, April 14
Chicago Cubs vs Milwaukee Brewers
Cincinnati Reds vs San Francisco Giants
Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros
Los Angeles Angels vs Kansas City Royals
New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals vs St. Louis Cardinals
Monday, April 12 to Thursday, April 15
Boston Red Sox vs Minnesota Twins
Cleveland Indians vs Chicago White Sox
Miami Marlins vs Atlanta Braves
Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Mets
San Diego Pirates vs Pittsburgh Pirates
Seattle Mariners vs Baltimore Orioles
Texas Rangers vs Tampa Bay Rays
Tuesday, April 13 to Thursday, April 15
Colorado Rockies vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Thursday, April 15 to Sunday, April 18
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Washington Nationals
Detroit Tigers vs Oakland A’s
Toronto Blue Jays vs Kansas City Royals
Friday, April 16 to Sunday, April 18
Atlanta Braves vs Chicago Cubs
Baltimore Orioles vs Texas Rangers
Cleveland Indians vs Cincinnati Reds
Houston Astros vs Seattle Mariners
Los Angeles Dodgers vs San Diego Padres
Minnesota Twins vs Los Angeles Angels
New York Mets vs Colorado Rockies
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Milwaukee Brewers
San Francisco Giants vs Miami Marlins
St. Louis Cardinals vs Philadelphia Phillies
Tampa Bay Rays vs New York Yankees
Friday, April 16 to Monday, April 19
Chicago White Sox vs Boston Red Sox
April 12-18 MLB Betting Top Matchups
Monday, April 12: New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays
Pitching Matchup: Gerrit Cole vs Robbie Ray
The Yankees and Blue Jays have not started particularly well, as both teams enter this series at 4-5. But they did avoid getting swept in their respective weekend series by winning the series finale. The Yankees outlasted the Tampa Bay Rays in 10 innings on Sunday, while the Blue Jays routed the Angels 15-1 on Saturday, with the Sunday game being rained out.
New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays Matchup: Picks, Odds, Stats and More
Tuesday, April 13: Cleveland Indians vs Chicago White Sox
Pitching Matchup: Shane Bieber vs Lucas Giolito
Bieber (+400 to win the AL Cy Young) will enter his third start seeking his first win of the season, while Giolito (+500) struck out 10 in only 5.1 IP to win in Seattle last Tuesday.
Wednesday, April 14: Chicago Cubs vs Milwaukee Brewers
Pitching Matchup: Jake Arrieta vs Corbin Burnes
Burnes has been masterful in his first two 2021 starts, but he has nothing to show for it. He has allowed one run, two hits, and no walks and has struck out 20 in only 12.1 IP in his two starts. But he was a hard-luck loser against the Minnesota Twins in his season debut and took a no-decision in Thursday’s loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Thursday, April 15: Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Mets
Pitching Matchup: Zach Eflin vs Jacob deGrom
Burnes has had some awful misfortune in his first two starts, and deGrom can commiserate. In his two starts, the two-time NL Cy Young winner has allowed one run and struck out 21 in 14 IP, and he pitched a complete game Saturday against the Marlins. But the bullpen deserted him in his first start against the Phillies last Monday, while Miami’s Trevor Rogers led a shutout of the Mets in a Saturday loss.
Friday, April 16: Houston Astros vs Seattle Mariners
Pitching Matchup: Jose Urquidy vs Yusei Kikuchi
Kikuchi was 8-15 with an ERA over 5.00 across his first two MLB seasons, but it is looking the third season could be the charm for him. He has tossed back-to-back quality starts to open the season and has 16 strikeouts in only 12 IP. He’ll have his hands full with one of MLB’s top hitting teams, however.
Saturday, April 17: Los Angeles Dodgers vs San Diego Padres
Pitching Matchup: Clayton Kershaw vs Yu Darvish
Kershaw came out on top in a duel with Max Scherzer on Sunday, and he will look to do the same against Darvish and the Padres in his upcoming start. Darvish faces one of his former teams, as he was part of the Dodgers’ unsuccessful run in 2017. Darvish was fifth in the league last season in K/BB ratio, but he will be up against one of the most patient lineups in the game. In their first 10 games, the Dodgers amassed 50 walks.
Sunday, April 18: Toronto Blue Jays vs Kansas City Royals
Pitching Matchup: Hyin-jin Ryu vs Danny Duffy
The Royals have had a positive start, and Duffy, one of the remaining Royals from their 2015 World Series-winning team, is one of the reasons why. He pitched six shutout innings to open his season with a win at Cleveland last Monday. Ryu was a hard-luck loser against the Texas Rangers last Wednesday, pitching seven solid innings but getting upstaged by Kyle Gibson in a 2-1 loss.
Updated MLB Betting Futures Odds
Here is a look at the latest MLB futures odds. Only players and teams with odds +2500 or better are listed.
All MLB futures odds are via FanDuel Sportsbook. For the latest MLB betting odds and MLB futures odds, click here.
Odds to Win the 2021 World Series
- Los Angeles Dodgers +350
- New York Yankees +550
- San Diego Padres +900
- New York Mets +1000
- Chicago White Sox +1100
- Atlanta Braves +1200
- Houston Astros +1500
- Minnesota Twins +1800
- St. Louis Cardinals +2200
- Toronto Blue Jays +2200
2021 MLB MVP Betting Odds
2021 AL MVP Odds
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels +230
- Aaron Judge, New York Yankees +1200
- Shohei Ohtani, Los Angeles Angels +1200
- Alex Bregman, Houston Astros +1400
- Jose Ramirez, Cleveland Indians +1500
- Anthony Rendon, Los Angeles Angels +2000
- Jose Abreu, Chicago White Sox +2000
- DJ LeMahieu, New York Yankees +2500
- Matt Chapman, Oakland A’s +2500
- Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., Toronto Blue Jays +2500
2021 NL MVP Odds
- Ronald Acuna, Jr., Atlanta Braves +550
- Juan Soto, Washington Nationals +750
- Mookie Betts, Los Angeles Dodgers +750
- Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers +1200
- Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers +1200
- Francisco Lindor, New York Mets +1200
- Bryce Harper, Philadelphia Phillies +1500
- Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves +1500
- Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers +1600
- Nolan Arenado, St. Louis Cardinals +1700
- Manny Machado, San Diego Padres +2500
2021 MLB Cy Young Award Betting Odds
2021 AL Cy Young Award Odds
- Gerrit Cole, New York Yankees +280
- Shane Bieber, Cleveland Indians +400
- Lucas Giolito, Chicago White Sox +500
- Tyler Glasnow, Tampa Bay Rays +900
- Hyin-jin Ryu, Toronto Blue Jays +1300
- Jose Berrios, Minnesota Twins +1500
- Lance Lynn, Chicago White Sox +1600
- Kenta Maeda, Minnesota Twins +2000
2021 NL Cy Young Award Odds
- Jacob deGrom, New York Mets +300
- Trevor Bauer, Los Angeles Dodgers +700
- Walker Buehler, Los Angeles Dodgers +1000
- Yu Darvish, San Diego Padres +1200
- Aaron Nola, Philadelphia Phillies +1300
- Blake Snell, San Diego Padres +1300
- Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals +1300
- Corbin Burnes, Milwaukee Brewers +1500
- Brandon Woodruff, Milwaukee Brewers +2200
- Jack Flaherty, St. Louis Cardinals +2200
- Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals +2200
- Zack Wheeler, Philadelphia Phillies +2500
The post MLB Weekly Betting Preview (April 12-18): NL Pennant Favorites Collide Out West, Burnes and deGrom Seek Some Success, and More first appeared on Betting News.