The Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers will face off in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This is the first time since 1991 that the two teams will meet in the postseason.
The two teams split their 4 game season series, and the home team was victorious on each occasion.
The Flames and Oilers both won Game 7 in Round 1 to advance in the bracket. Calgary took care of Dallas in overtime to secure their spot. Edmonton posted a 2-0 shutout over the Kings at home.
The Flames hold a slight advantage in the odds to win the series. However, with both teams coming off long, hard-fought series, it’s anyone’s for the taking.
Calgary Flames (Pacific Division #1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (Pacific Division #2) Series Information and Betting Odds
Calgary Flames vs. Dallas Stars Series Schedule, Game Times, and TV Info
- Flames vs. Oilers (Game 1 – at Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary): Wednesday, May 18, 9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
- Flames vs. Oilers (Game 2 – at Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary): Friday, May 20, 10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
- Oilers vs. Flames (Game 3 – at Rogers Place, Edmonton): Sunday, May 22, 8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2
- Oilers vs. Flames (Game 4- at Rogers Place, Edmonton): Tuesday, May 24, 9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
- Flames vs. Oilers (Game 5 – at Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary): Thursday, May 26, time and TV TBD – if necessary
- Oilers vs. Flames (Game 6 – at Rogers Place, Edmonton): Saturday, May 28, time and TV TBD – if necessary
- Flames vs. Oilers (Game 7 – at Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary): Monday, May 30, time and TV TBD – if necessary
Calgary Flames vs. Edmonton Oilers Series Betting Odds
Odds are via FanDuel.
Odds to win the Series
- Calgary Flames -194
- Edmonton Oilers +160
Series Correct Score Odds
- Flames 4-0 (+820)
- Flames 4-1 (+390)
- Flames 4-2 (+420)
- Flames 4-3 (+410)
- Oilers 4-0 (+1600)
- Oilers 4-1 (+980)
- Oilers 4-2 (+590)
- Oilers 4-3 (+630)
Series Total Games Odds
- Four Games: +550
- Five Games: +240
- Six Games: +200
- Seven Games: +205
Flames vs. Oilers 2021-22 Season Head-to-Head Results
- October 16, 2021 (at Edmonton): Oilers 5, Flames 2
- January 22, 2022 (at Edmonton): Oilers 5, Flames 3
- March 7, 2022 (at Calgary): Flames 3, Oilers 1
- March 26, 2022 (at Calgary): Flames 9, Oilers 5
Goaltending is the Key to Victory
The Flames and Oilers both had great showings from their starting goaltenders in the first round. Jacob Markstrom, Calgary’s netminder, held the Dallas offense to just 14 goals in 7 games. Mike Smith, Edmonton’s starter, only allowed 17 goals in 7 games.
Both goalies have a sub 3.00 goals against average in the playoffs. They have combined for three shutouts, and don’t look to be stopping anytime soon.
The defenses for both teams held up in crucial moments of Round 1. In Game 7 for both teams, the defenses proved that their teams are true contenders in this year’s playoff bracket. Calgary held Dallas to just 28 shots in almost 4 full periods of hockey. Edmonton held Los Angeles scoreless and secured their second shutout victory of Round 1.
In this year’s matchups between Calgary and Edmonton, both teams averaged 4 or more goals per game. With the defenses living up to the hype in Round 1, I don’t see this trend continuing during the series.
We are set for another long series that will sway back-and-forth between the two teams. Getting as many pucks to the net as possible will be the key to breaking through and moving ahead. The Battle of Alberta is set to be a fun one, and both teams are hungry to get into the Western Conference Finals.
Calgary Flames vs. Edmonton Oilers Series Prediction and Betting Tips
Prediction: Oilers win the series 4-3
Even though Edmonton is lacking home ice advantage, I see their superstar players being a challenge for Calgary. The Flames figured out the Stars quickly in Round 1, but with the offensive firepower that the Oilers possess, I expect more goals being scored.
The Oilers are a great value pick for the upset. They sit at +160, so it’s not too far fetched to say they have what it takes to bring home the victory. Series score odds for Edmonton look enticing as well. Every single one provides great value, but I see the series going 7 games.
Other 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Content on Betting News
- Odds to Win the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals
- 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket & Matchups
The post Flames vs. Oilers Series Odds and Prediction: Teams Set For Another Long Series appeared first on Betting News.