St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Miles Mikolas has not had as much good fortune as he might have liked this month, but if he can get some this afternoon against the rival Chicago Cubs, the Cardinals stand to respond well to being shut out in the series opener.
In last night’s game, 7.1 shutout innings by Kyle Hendricks and an early two-run homer by Nico Hoerner helped the Cubbies claim a 3-0 win at Busch Stadium.
The Cardinals will be counting on better results with their bats and another strong outing by Mikolas in order to even up the series, but will they get what they wish for? Or will the Cubs win a second straight game in St. Louis to secure just their second series win this month?
Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Betting Odds and Matchup Information
- Matchup: Chicago Cubs (27-44, 14-19 away, 4th in the NL Central) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (40-33, 21-14 home, t-1st in the NL Central)
- Venue & Location: Busch Stadium (St. Louis, Missouri)
- Date: Saturday, June 25, 2022
- Game Time: 2:15 p.m. Eastern Time (1:15 p.m. local time)
- TV Broadcast/Streaming Info: Marquee Sports Network (Cubs), Bally Sports Midwest (Cardinals), MLB Extra Innings/MLB.TV (subscription packages)
Cubs vs. Cardinals Pitching Matchup
- Chicago Cubs: Adrian Sampson (2022: two appearances, 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 5.2 IP, 5 K/0 BB)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Miles Mikolas (2022: 14 starts, 5-5, 2.64 ERA, 88.2 IP, 69 K/18 BB)
Cubs vs. Cardinals Odds
Game odds are via FanDuel. Odds from our other top reviewed and recommended online sportsbooks may also be included in this article.
- Chicago Cubs +164
- St. Louis Cardinals -196
- OVER 9 (-104)
- UNDER 9 (-118)
- Chicago Cubs +1.5 (-120)
- St. Louis Cardinals -1.5 (+100)
Mikolas Makes First Home Start Since Near No-No Against Pirates
When Mikolas last pitched at Busch Stadium, he came within mere inches of a no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates eleven days ago.
The near no-no is just part of what has been a real adventure for Mikolas. The “Lizard King” opened his June by allowing four runs, eight hits, and three walks in five innings against the Cubs at Wrigley Field three weeks ago.
Thanks to a 14-run day from the offense, Mikolas picked up the win in that game, and he also came away with the win against the Pirates, with the bats supporting him with nine runs in that game.
But in his other two starts this month, Mikolas has had nothing to show for two very good outings.
Against the Tampa Bay Rays, he allowed just two runs and three hits in eight innings, but the Cardinals mustered just one run. And last time out, he allowed two runs and four hits against the Milwaukee Brewers in 6.1 innings, but the bats were held scoreless by reigning NL Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes and Milwaukee’s bullpen.
But Mikolas should be excellent again today, if he continues to pitch as he has in most of his home starts. He has five quality starts in seven home starts, and he has allowed two or fewer runs in four of those starts.
Additionally, favorable trends indicate that he should be rewarded for another solid start this time.
Notable Trends for the St. Louis Cardinals
- The Cardinals have now been shut out or held to one run 13 times this season. To date, in the games following those performances, St. Louis is 10-2 and has won all but one game by multiple runs.
- In those 12 games, the Cardinals have scored 71 runs, coming out to an average of almost six runs per game. Seven times, they have scored six or more runs.
- The Cardinals are 19-13 following a loss this season, including an 8-5 mark following home losses.
- St. Louis is 25-13 as a favorite this season, which includes a 15-9 record as a home favorite.
Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Prediction and Best Bets
Cubs vs. Cardinals Prediction: Cardinals to win
Cubs vs. Cardinals Best Bets: Cardinals -1.5 (+100 at FanDuel)
There’s no delight in getting shut out by anyone, but there is especially no delight in getting shut out by a rival at home. Based on previous results after they have had the roughest of days at the plate, expect the Cardinals to take some frustrations out on the Cubs this afternoon.
The numbers don’t look too kindly upon the Cubs either, as they are 10-16 following a win and have lost six of their last nine in that scenario. In fact, the aforementioned 14-run outburst that the Cardinals had in Mikolas’s start in Chicago earlier this month came after the Cubbies had opened the series with a win in the previous game.
Other MLB Content Today on Betting News (Saturday, June 25)
- Astros vs. Yankees 6/25 Prediction and Best Bets
The post Cubs vs. Cardinals (June 25): St. Louis seeks strong response after Friday shutout appeared first on Betting News.