For decades Canterbury Park has strived to be one of the best fan experiences in the country. However, in recent years the racing product has also steadily increased. This is most evident on the track’s biggest days. Perhaps no day is bigger than Wednesday’s Mystic Lake Turf Festival.
The Canterbury Park standings are dominated by names like Robertino Diodoro, Mac Robertson, Harry Hernandez, and Lindey Wade. While all good jockeys and trainers in their own right, it is hard not to pay attention to the shippers on Wednesday’s card.
The jockey colony will get some of the top riders from various circuits to ride. The names include Florent Geroux, Javier Castellano, Adam Beschizza, Reylu Gutierrez, and David Cohen.
There will also be a number of big name trainers taking a swing at the event. Among them are Brendan Walsh, Keith Desormeaux, Ron Moquett, Cherie Devaux, Ian Wilkes, Joe Sharp.
Perhaps the two biggest trainers that will be sending horses to the Mystic Lake Turf Festival are Mike Maker and Brad Cox. The former has a propensity for training turf routers often at great prices. The latter needs no introduction to horse racing fans as he has trained runners like Knicks Go, Essential Quality, Mandaloun, and Monomoy Girl.
Mystic Lake Northern Stars Turf Festival Full Card Analysis
Canterbury Park Race 1
Post: 5:10 PM CT; Purse: $30,000 Maiden Special Weight, 6 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 6
- #5 BOMBARRA GOLD (8-5) is in with a great chance based on the horse’s stamina & pace.
- #1 TAKING CHARGE DESI (9-5) should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & record at the distance.
- #3 LUNA S (6-1) is worth a look here given the workout pattern & pedigree.
- #4 JETINWITHCLASS (9-2) could get a nice setup and has the pedigree to be successful here.
Canterbury Park Race 2
Post: 5:39 PM CT; Purse: $35,000 Allowance Optional Claiming, 6 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 6
- #5 EXXEL (8-5) has a great shot in the race given the speed & pace numbers.
- #6 LOCHMOOR (8-1) is a nice price considering some of the races this one has come out of.
- #3 PURE ROCKET (9-2) has been in really good form of late and could be ready to pull a mild upset here.
- #2 SHADOWLESS (2-1) has been successful at this extended sprint distance in the past and that experience may be a benefit in the late stages.
Canterbury Park Race 3
Post: 6:10 PM CT; Purse: $100,000 Curtis Sampson Oaks, 1 Mile on Turf; Entries: 13
- #1 WHENTHEDAWNBREAKS (4-1) ships in for Brad Cox. While I think it is dangerous to solely play connections, it is also worth noting that shipping horses isn’t cheap and if a big barn is coming here, it likely means they are live.
- #5 SCHLOFMITZ (3-1) should be competitive based on the overall power rating which has it tops in the group.
- #12 LATIN NIKKITA (12-1) has the speed figures to win this race at a huge price. The 12 post isn’t ideal however and moved this runner down the the third spot. I do expect this one to be making up ground late.
- #13 BLISSFUL (10-1) is another outside runner who rates well in some key categories, but the draw is a major concern. This one is more likely an underneath play for me.
Canterbury Park Race 4
Post: 6:41 PM CT; Purse: $100,000 Dark Star Turf Sprint S., 5 Furlongs on Turf; Entries: 15
- #2 XY SPEED (4-1) should be competitive based on the overall power rating which has it tops in the group.
- #13 SPYCRAFT (5-1) is worth a look here given edges in race flow & pace. I don’t typically like outside draws, but sometimes in turf sprints it helps keep horses out of traffic.
- #4 SEVEN SCENTS (3-1) comes into the race signaling a big performance in the near future.
- #7 ON YOUR MARK (8-1) is a major player based on speed figures.
Canterbury Park Race 5
Post: 7:12 PM CT; Purse: $60,000 MTA Stallion Auction S., 6 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #5 QUEENSCABALLO (9-2) should be in the right spot early to give this horse a chance to get the job done.
- #3 COLOR ME LEGENDARY (7-2) should be making up ground late may just be able to pass them all.
- #4 ROYALS’ LIL DIVA (9-5) will be forwardly placed and has the top speed figures in the group.
- #2 OJITOS (5-1) has run against some really tough customers prior to this try.
Canterbury Park Race 6
Post: 7:43 PM CT; Purse: $100,000 Lady Canterbury S., 1 Mile on Turf; Entries: 13
- #7 SHE CAN’T SING (5-2) is a major player in today’s race edging the field in several key handicapping factors including speed & power rating.
- #2 AMALFI PRINCESS (9-2) is worth a look here given edges in class & race flow.
- #8 SARANYA (7-2) has speed figures that put this one right in the mix as they hit the wire.
- #12 READY TO RUNAWAY (6-1) classes up well with the group and is competitive in a lot of key handicapping factors. This one is a main track only entrant and will only get in if the race comes off the turf due to rain.
Canterbury Park Race 7
Post: 8:14 PM CT; Purse: $100,000 Mystic Lake Mile S., 1 Mile on Turf; Entries: 12
- #4 TWO EMMYS (3-1) is a major contender given the edge in a number of key categories including speed & class. I seem to land on this horse every time it runs and I haven’t been too jaded yet, so I’ll keep this one on top.
- #7 TUT’S REVENGE (5-1) is worth a look here given edges in record at the distance & power rating.
- #6 MR DUMAS (4-1) has speed figures to stack up here.
- #8 GOALIE (12-1) goes out for some of the top local connections and has a chance to be a factor late at a price.
Canterbury Park Race 8
Post: 8:45 PM CT; Purse: $150,000 Mystic Lake Derby, 1 Mile on Turf; Entries: 11
- #6 DOWAGIAC CHIEF (4-1) should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & power rating. This horse earned 10 Kentucky Derby points when he finished 4th on the synthetic in the Jeff Ruby. Synth form tends to translate better to turf than to dirt. Since the two previous efforts were turf wins, I’m inclined to agree on this particular runner.
- #10 HEAVEN STREET (5-1) is worth a look here given edges in race flow & form.
- #8 STITCHED (5-2) looks to have to have kept the best company in the previous starts.
- #9 XAVEY DAVE (6-1) comes into the race in great form and has to be respected as a fringe contender.
Canterbury Park Race 9
Post: 9:16 PM CT; Purse: $13,500 Claiming, 6 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #4 DEVOTED TO YOU (2-1) looks like a strong prospect edging the field in several key handicapping factors including connections & power rating.
- #3 WESTA WAVERLY (3-1) should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & pace.
- #5 TWILITE LIASON (15-1) could get a decent pace setup to run into here in the late stages.
- #8 GONE A LIL LU HU (10-1) will come from midpack and has show the ability to close ground late.
Canterbury Park Race 10
Post: 9:46 PM CT; Purse: $13,500 Claiming, 6 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #6 FULL SPEED ASTERN (5-1) should be competitive today based on the horse’s speed & class.
- #7 OUTWORKTHEOKIEGIRL (2-1) has to be respected based on the connections.
- #3 CREDIT CARD FRAUD (8-1) is a major player in today’s race edging the field in several key handicapping factors including early pace numbers.
- #4 MILLIGANMIKEANDME (6-1) should have the stamina to carry the extra half furlong in this spot.
Betting News Free Handicapping Tools
For more information on racing from all of the week’s racing action, check out our free handicapping tools.
The post Canterbury Park (June 22) Mystic Lake Turf Festival Analysis appeared first on Betting News.